Surface : 2447 ha
1793 : 723
1801 : 811
1851 : 992
1900 : 1050
1905 : 1 117
1936 : 745
1954 : 702
1990 : 540
1999 : 618
A little history...
The name of the town comes from the German, Süd, South and Ach, stream : "zur sundern Ach", near the Southern stream. Actually the town is the southest one in the Munster Valley.
It's in 1240, that this name was found for the first time in the records. In 1540, a chapel dedicated to Notre-Dame des neiges was build in place of an hermitage, founded by princess Emma, Charlemagne's niece, at the beginning of the 9th century, in memory of her fiancé Roland, who died in Roncevaux. The chapel and the hill were named "Emm" (short for Emma); the church is still called by this name today.
The chapel, demolished then rebuild in 1758 under the custom of St Blaise, was again badly destroyed during the first World War. In 1921 the priest Martin Béhé started the rebulding and the chapel was turned into a votive church in memory of the brave soldiers...
A protestant church was
build in 1901, with a bell tower, with a height of 42m. It was the only building
which remained standing in the town after the first World War. The town was a
member of the City and Valley of Munster Community until 1847; it became part of
the Munster Valley Town Community on June the 1st.
The town is right on the 48th parallel, where you can also find the following cities: La Bresse, Brins les Bains, Nogent en B., Montargis, Le Mans and Quimper in France; Terre Neuve, St Jean de Dieu and Tadoussac in Canada; Isle Royale, Fort Peck, Kalispell and Everett (Seattle) in the USA; Freiburg, Memmingen, Tuttlingen and Starnberg in Germany; Baden (Vienne) in Austria; Bratislava in Slovenia; Kri Voy Rog and Donetsk in Ukrania; Ayaguz in Kazhakstan; Oulan Bator and Khabarovsk in Mongolia.
In 1965, armorial bearings were created, showing the forest work, one of the main income sources of the town.
They are named
"De Gueules à la Schlitte d'Or"
"De Gueules" means red and "Or", gold in the heraldic language.